Why You Should Start Planning Your Vacation Sooner Rather Than Later

When do you start planning your next vacation?

If you ask me, the answer is probably years before we actually leave. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I’m the person who has a running list of places I want to visit, random attractions saved on Google Maps, and a growing collection of ideas that may or may not make it into our next family adventure. And honestly, I love it that way!

We’re not luxury travelers. We’re memory makers who love road trips, National Parks, quirky roadside attractions, and trying to fit as much as possible into every trip. But one thing I’ve learned over the years is that starting your vacation planning early can make a huge difference.

๐Ÿ—บ️ Start With a Running List of Places You Want to Visit

I always have a list of places I’d love to explore. Some are big destinations, while others are small roadside attractions, unique restaurants, scenic stops, or experiences I happen to stumble across online.

I save ideas throughout the year because you never know when one of those places might fit perfectly into a future trip.

Having a running list gives me a starting point instead of waiting until we decide, “Where should we go this year?”

And let's be honest… by the time we actually choose a destination, I probably have enough saved ideas to plan three separate vacations. ๐Ÿ˜‚

๐Ÿ“… Sometimes the Year Makes All the Difference

One thing I’ve learned is that the year you travel can influence where you go and how you plan your trip.

For example, 2028 is an Olympic year here in the United States, so we’re already thinking about how we can frame our vacation around the Olympics.

That means we’re not simply choosing a destination and figuring out the details later. We’re considering what experiences we want to include and how the timing of the year might shape our plans.

Having that extra time allows us to think through possibilities instead of trying to pull everything together at the last minute.

And yes… 2028 Olympics, here we come! ๐Ÿ…

⛺ Camping, Hotels, Driving, or Flying?

Before our itinerary can really start taking shape, we have some decisions to make.

Are we going to camp or stay in hotels? Are we driving or flying? How much time do we realistically have? And perhaps the most important question…

How many days am I going to be allowed to plan? ๐Ÿ˜‚

I may have a long list of places I want to see, but I do have to check with Byron before I build an itinerary that requires an entire month away.

Once we have those bigger decisions figured out, I can start narrowing down destinations, looking at routes, comparing lodging options, and deciding which experiences make the most sense.

The itinerary doesn’t magically appear all at once. It slowly begins to take shape as we work through the details.

๐Ÿ’ฐ Why I Recommend Starting Early

I cannot recommend getting started sooner rather than later enough!

Planning early doesn’t mean you have to book every single detail years in advance. For me, it means giving ourselves time to explore options and make thoughtful decisions.

Starting early can help you:

- Compare different destinations and travel options before making decisions.

- Watch for deals on flights, hotels, and other expenses.

- Spread out costs instead of paying for everything at once.

- Research experiences and attractions you don’t want to miss.

- Build a realistic itinerary based on how many days you have.

- Adjust your plans when you discover something new or realize a different route makes more sense.

- Avoid the stress of trying to figure everything out a few weeks before leaving.

And with the way we travel, I need all the planning time I can get! ๐Ÿ˜‚

I want to make the most of our time, find the unique stops, experience the places we visit, and still have room for those unexpected memories along the way.

✈️ Planning Early Doesn’t Mean Everything Is Set in Stone

One of my favorite parts of travel planning is watching an idea evolve.

We may start with a destination or a specific event, but then I discover a nearby National Park, a quirky roadside attraction, a scenic route, or something completely unexpected that gets added to the list.

Our plans can change. Our route can change. We may decide to add days, switch accommodations, or remove something that no longer fits.

That’s why I like starting early. It gives us time to explore possibilities without feeling like we have to make every decision immediately.

The goal isn’t to create a perfect trip on paper. It’s to build a trip that works for our family and gives us experiences we’ll be talking about for years.

❤️ Start Planning Before You Think You Need To

If you have a destination you’ve been dreaming about, my advice is simple:

Start looking into it now.

Make a list of places you want to visit. Think about the time of year. Research what’s nearby. Consider whether you want to drive or fly, camp or stay in hotels, and how many days you might need.

You don’t have to have all the answers. Just start gathering ideas.

Because the sooner you start, the more time you have to compare options, watch for opportunities, plan your budget, and let your itinerary come together.

And if you’re anything like me, you’ll probably end up planning the next vacation while you’re still planning the current one. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We’re not luxury travelers. We’re memory makers—and the planning is part of the adventure!

๐Ÿ“Œ Final Thoughts

Whether you’re planning a weekend getaway, a family road trip, or a once-in-a-lifetime adventure, don’t wait until the last minute to start dreaming and researching.

Your next trip might be closer than you think… or it might be a few years away. Either way, having a plan and giving yourself time can make the process a whole lot easier.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a 2028 itinerary to work on. ๐Ÿ…✈️

Creating memories one mile at a time. ❤️

Kayla

Comments

Popular Posts